Page by Page

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

So, Why no refund?

It all started out innocent enough.  A fifty year-old man develops severe pain in his left foot.  His foot was unable to bend and as he walked the pressure from the heel and arches was excruciating.  After getting advise from a nurse, he is referred to a Podiatrist.  A quick trip to the Podiatrist on Thursday resulted in him discovering that he had several issues resulting in pounding abuse during his stupid years.  The options offered was; a brace, cordorzone injections, stretching combined with an rigorous dose of anti-inflammatory pills, or surgery.  After a long discussion, stretching and pills were accepted.

The prescribed medication was Arthrotec, a tablet taken three times per day with food.  The first tablet was taken Thursday night.  The next morning the man developed severe pain in both feet and found himself walking like a person transporting an invasive foreign object.  By Saturday morning the man found himself in the Emergency Room.

This was the start of my Labour Day long weekend.

I have always been the type of person who does not like taking pills.  Pills of any kind whether even something as innocuous as a common pain killer.  It just does not seem right to introduce a chemical into your body.  In fact when the Podiatrist prescribed me the Arthrotec, I commenced a series of questions.  What are the side affects?  Followed with; What are the adverse side effects?  The doctor was very patient although I could detect he was getting a bit frustrated when I brought up the question of a natural alternative.  Satisfied that I had conducted my due diligence, the pills were purchased for a monetary amount of $33.00.

I was ready for the onslaught of what the pharmaceutical industry had described as “common side effects”.  Within one hour of the first pill, I was taking up the portable office position in the lavatory.  My stomach was reciting the fifth act of the “Wizard of Oz” screaming, “Who dares approach the Great Oz?”  Followed by what felt like earth tremours.  Evening came and three hours later, I bravely took position on my side of the bed.  I closed my eyes thinking, “I have a wonderful and brave wife.”

The next morning, I woke to find that my hands had swelled to nearing twice their size, and I was unable to make a fist.  My wrist was wider than normal and my joints ached.  I could not raise my arm up enough to eat breakfast, and I have a burning and itching sensation all over.  Welts had developed on my legs, arms, including the pits (all of them) and stomach.  My wife advised me to get to the hospital, and after considerable thought I said, “No, I have planned a motorcycle trip today, so I will sit here and see how this pans out.”  Less than 30 minutes later, I found myself driving to the Leduc Hospital.  At this point I have to say that we have great professionals working at the Leduc Hospital.  They took me into the inner sanctum immediate.  Much to the chagrin of at least 15 others waiting.  Even the scary Registered Nurse that told me to put on the undersized robe.  Followed by the other nurse that stuck me from behind.

In came the doctor who told me I had a rather serious allergic reaction to the Arthrotec.  I was not offered any options.  It was a rear shot, followed by two more sets of pills for five days.

If you are still with me, the big beef I have this week is simply this.  Why is it that we cannot get a refund on prescription drugs?  I would really like my $33.00 back, because I need to cover off some of the expenses of the two other sets of pill, those being Prednisone and Antihistamines.  Does it seems rather lopsided, when ‘Big Pharma’ can produce something that nearly kills you and then you have to go back to your dealer to purchase more of their product to counter the assault?

In our free market economy, if the buyer is not satisfied, you go back to the vendor, state our case, and a refund is offered.  Do you think that having to inconvenience some very busy medical professionals at the hospital, is stating my case for a refund?

I find it disturbing to know that many people have reacted to this medication in a similar manner if not more severely. Yet we are still being prescribed this chemical product.  The side effect that any drug reports are compiled as a result of actual medical cases and human drug testing.  With Arthrotec the more serious side effects reported are; “gastrointestinal ulcers and bleeding; liver dysfunction; severe skin reactions. Severe bronchospasms may occur in patients with aspirin-sensitive asthma. Arthrotec may cause heart attacks and strokes; accumulation of fluid and worsen heart failure; cause or worsen hypertension and kidney failure.”  ........ Huh!

For some reason this was not disclosed to me when prescribed.  Of course what I experienced was an allergic reaction known as anaphylactic shock.  That one did not even make the list.

The good news for us is that the pills you buy to counter an allergic reaction to a medication are very effective.  I was on my feet within a day. The cost incurred to our universal medical care was no doubt very expensive.  

The Arthrotec pills not used, were disposed of by the pharmacist, along with my $33.00.  So, how was your long weekend?

No comments: