Page by Page

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Real McCoy

“I've been blessed to find people who are smarter than I am, and they help me to execute the vision I have.”    Russell Simmons, American Entrepreneur  

Over the years I have employed many people.  When I commenced by second career in 1990, my wife and I opened our first “going concern” in Leduc.  We ran a Radio Shack Dealership for nearly 10 years before we decided to wind down the business.  During that same period we started a computer company, where we opened two stores.  One in Leduc and the other in Camrose.  A third location was opened by a Wetaskiwin resident in that city on main street.  In all three stores that we operated, I employed no less than thirty people, all doing specific jobs.  Some were sales persons, other electronic and computer technicians and another eight people were instructors teaching computer classes.

After closing these retail businesses I entered the publishing field, where I managed a sales team for a national periodical. This lead me to my current position with the Pipestone Flyer.

The point of all this is simple.  I have been in a position where I have had to hire people to do specific jobs and assess performance levels of each person under my supervision.  Like many managers, I have found the performance levels of individuals all different.  But every once and a while I find a real gem.  That person who really makes a difference, where your personal vision and mission that you have is adopted with zeal.  In a word, the 'Real McCoy'.

Those types of people are very hard to hold onto and I have found from my experience that when you have that person in your employ you make the best of it.

What I, as well as many employers look for in the 'Real McCoy’, is someone that has served with distinction.  Distinction does not so much mean that they have flair, although an interesting personality does not hurt.  But it simply involves doing the job and doing it well.  That person knows exactly what their job entails, and organizes their time well leaving no tasks behind.  They become that employee where you know with full confidence that their job is getting done even when unsupervised, and the results show.

Many who hold jobs seldom understand how important their role is in a specific company.  They may feel that their tasks they have been hired to complete are mundane, boring or just not necessary.  However, no job you are hired for is unnecessary, because if that were true, no paycheque would be forthcoming and the position would be dissolved.

Yes, the 'Real McCoy' is that person who does the job whether they feel their assignment is just not interesting or even important.  Believe it or not, many managers do take note of each employee and the level of value they bring to the table.  They know when someone is just 'not there' and when that is identified, it becomes a housekeeping problem for the employer.

So what is this all about?  It is about a young lady who I had the privilege of employing as a full-time reporter for the Pipestone Flyer. Sydnee Bryant is leaving us, and in the very short time we had her in our employ she created the mold of what a very good employee is.  She became a real asset to The Pipestone Flyer and (if you will excuse my expression) my right-hand 'man.'
 
Sydnee Bryant is leaving the glamour of working for an Alberta weekly community newspaper and will fly to the middle east, where she will become the editor of the “Qatar Happening Magazine”, a trendy monthly glossy publication in the heart of Qatar.

As readers you have been witness to the start of a young persons journalist career.  Although the Pipestone Flyer was Sydnee Bryant's first full-time position as a reporter, I truly believe that this special person will have a long and distinguishable career.

It all started here, and we are very proud to have had the opportunity to be a part of her journey.  God speed Sydnee, I know that everything you do will have the mark of the 'Real McCoy.'

No comments: