Page by Page

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Lacking Pride

“Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”  
General George S. Patten

Back in December I received a comment from a reader that I found myself brushing off my shoulder.  It was one of those comments that you consider the source and then move on placing little credence to it.  Then two weeks ago during a conversation with a stranger, they discovered that I worked at the Pipestone Flyer, and immediately stated, “That's a pro-war newspaper right?”  There it was again.  It was one of those moments when your brain goes back into search mode and tries to put yourself in the shoes of the person you are facing.  Being the editor, I control what and what does not go into the newspaper, and I tried hard to understand what I had published that made the Pipestone Flyer 'pro-war', or better yet appear war mongering.

As weak as it was, all I could come up with was that nearly every week we have placed a banner advertisement in our newspaper at our cost promoting a website that  honours  War Veterans from Millet.  A website that we build, host and maintain.  I have also written editorials supporting all veterans for what they have provided Canada in past and current conflicts.  Yes, it would be fair to say that I am proud of Canada's international role it has played and is playing in regards to our military deployment. I am not proud of the losses that we have felt, but I have a deep understanding of the significance of the soldiers that have sacrificed their lives for not only their country but for their families.

But, the comment from this stranger ended in a discussion that unfortunately put me on the defensive as what turned into a political rant from this person where my position could not be intelligently conveyed.  In her mind, I was a warmonger and The Pipestone Flyer was guilty by association and she was a peace loving Canadian and I therefore was the opposite, period!  It turned into a group discussion that criticized my conservative views on many fronts. We parted that day agreeing to disagree.

My pride in our military comes from two distinct but related sources. First and foremost, I do not love war.  Like many, when CNN started to broadcast the USA bombing Baghdad into the 'stone-age' in their 'shock-and-awe' campaign, I, like many North Americans, was glued to the television, only to suffer from depression from the day to day coverage. It did not thrill me to see the start of the conflict, but as a living human I was interested in what is happening on this planet.

So, when our then Liberal government committed Canada to the Afghanistan war which has now endured nearly a decade, I was proud that Canada was not just sitting back asking Britain to represent us, but that we had an international policy to support.  It also speaks well of Canada that our current federal government is honouring the spirit of our international commitment and has not pulled out our troops prematurely in spite of our losses in Afghanistan and the liberal opposition.  So on an international scale I am a proud Canadian and proud of the important role our military is fulfilling.

Secondly, on a personal level, I am a member of a military family.  That means that when there is a Canadian loss in the field of battle, I felt the loss on a personal level.  Because as with the Bosnian conflict, the Afghanistan war had a member of our family fighting side-by-side with other Canadians.  My sister's husband, a man I am proud to call my brother, served in Afghanistan for a tour of duty.  I saw the stress on my sister's face when he was not there for Christmas.  I listened as my sister talked not only with pride but with fear in her voice whenever she mentioned Paul's name in conversation.  I felt rather insignificant because the only role I had to play in Paul's mission was connecting closer to his sons while their father was risking his life.

Yes, it is true that I am proud of our Canadian military past and present.  I am so, because of what we as Canadians represent in the world.  I am so because of the brotherly love and pride I feel for Paul.  That pride did not subside, especially when last week my brother-in-law, Col. Paul Bury, was chosen as the  Commander of the 41 Canadian Brigade Group taking over the reigns from the outgoing Commander, Col. Thomas Putt.

So, is the Pipestone Flyer pro-war? No, it just happens that it's editor is a proud Canadian. One that is not afraid to express pride in our military and all organizations in this country and our community that ensure that we don't forget the sacrifices our military have made everyday under our flag.

No truer words were ever voiced when U.S. General George S. Patten stated,  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

No comments: